French Ivory

French Ivory is a fancy name for celluloid, a type of plastic invented in the late 1860s to imitate ivory.  French Ivory was in vogue through to the late 1930s and was used extensively for dressing table accessories and manicure sets for the bedroom; fancier sets were often monogramed. If you are looking for a piece to complement your vanity set this monogramed Iris (see my initial on the lower left) just might be it!

SOLD
10x10 oil on canvas (needs some drying time, *items in my vanity set below not included)

Here is my collection of 'French Ivory'... a button hook, a shoe horn and a nail file.


Please check out Carol Nelson's blog to see the portrait she did of me, I am #88/100.  She is doing a series of 100 portraits in 100 days in the Fauvist style.  I love my hair colour!  Have a look through the collection, amazing work.  Rumour has it that tomorrow, (Saturday) she will be posting one of my husband, Ferdinand.