Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Dark Beauty

This dark beauty is a hollyhock bloom from a plant that must be at least 12 feet high!  On one of my 'back alley' photo tours I discovered these purplish black sentinels standing guard along a garden fence.  The fence was quite tall, so it seems the hollyhocks felt the need to grow as tall as their DNA would allow in order to survey the immediate nieghbourhood.
Hollyhocks thrive in full sun and in soils that are not too rich or wet.  No wonder they do so well in Taos New Mexico!

The intense heat of the day surrounds this dark beauty...

$150.00, 10x10 oil on canvas

5 comments:

Julie Hill said...

Such wonderful colors!!! again, really enjoying this series.

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

Well that explains my failure with hollyhocks - I'm on a coast and it's always damp! I did grown these 'black' ones once - they really glow this dark magenta in the sun - nice job of capturing that!

Karen Martin Sampson said...

Hollyhocks are one of my favorite flowers. My grandmother always had them by her house and up at the cottage back in Ontario. I have had bad luck growing any until this year (when I found out about the poor soil and low water thing!) and now have eleven plants doing nicely and I hope will bloom in a year or two! Nice, direct approach to your work!

Dana Cooper said...

Gorgeous color in this Kim...it looks velvety!

Dusty Pines said...

oh - lovely, lovely color - so rich, deep, & mysterious! i love hollyhocks, having had them at our house as a child, but i've never seen them grow around here (i'm also on a coast), alas . . .