Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Gothic Glow, by Kim Blair


Sun-dried Series
Gothic Glow
16x20 oil on canvas

Close-up section
 from Gothic Glow


Graphite Sketch used to create Gothic Glow

Thanks Vincent for inspiring me to paint this sunflower painting with energetic strokes.

Yesterday Van Gogh was my luncheon companion via a gorgeous art reference book of his many glorious paintings.  I could feel my heart beat a bit faster as I perused his brush work and color choices.  This second painting in my 'sun-dried series' was created with a more muted moody palette than is typical of my work, and I am enjoying the exploration into new color territory.
The flower stalk is bending under the weight of its seed head, with a few crisp faded yellow petals glowing in the hazy light before a fall storm.  Crisp leaves dangling along the fibrous stalk, rustle in the breeze... acting like a dinner bell... attracting the attention of hungry birds.

*Click on photos to see brush work and paint texture.

$360.00 (+ $25.00 S/H anywhere in North America)
16x20 oil on gallery profile canvas

1 comment:

Sandy Graeser Haynes said...

Such great feeling in these flowers, Kim ! They are almost personified ! Love the movement of the stems and leaves... Your work shows so much depth