Monday, May 20, 2013

Model with Flower Pot, Pen and Ink Life Drawing, by Kim Blair

 Model Holding Flower Pot
9x9
Ink on Paper
 Model Holding Flower Pot 
11x9
Ink with Ink Wash on Paper
Semi-Blind Contour Drawing of a Face
5x3
Ink on Paper

Another life drawing session produced a few fun pieces in my sketch book.  Gardening was the theme, and the model arrived with an assortment of interesting paraphernalia for props... watering can, straw hat, shovel and pots of flowers.  I decided to focus on a close-up section of her holding a pot of flowers which allowed me to combine my love of flowers with my interest in drawing the human body.  

The last photo is of a tiny semi-blind contour drawing of the model's face.  I love the unique distortion you can achieve using this technique... while at the same time capturing an essence of the model before you.

The whimsical mark making created with semi-blind contour drawing offers me an avenue for self expression that I have not been able to find using classical drawing techniques.

No comments: