Marian, pen and ink sketch on paper, by Kim Blair

Marian
12x9
 pen and ink sketch on paper

It was time to do some quick sketches from life in pen and ink as part of the homework assignment for a portrait drawing workshop I am taking... so I headed to a coffee shop where I could find a spot to sit and draw some of the patrons while remaining fairly anonymous.  Marian happened to sit down in the comfy chair next to mine and I boldly asked if she would mind if I tried to quickly sketch her portrait while she read her book.   After looking a bit surprised she agreed and was an excellent model!

Although I could only spend 20 minutes on this sketch (my parking meter was running out) I am pleased with the spontaneity of the mark making.  Pen and ink is permanent and therefore you must live with every gestural line you create, which was the whole point of the exercise.

(Click on the image for a closer look at the mark making)