Ella's portrait by Kim Blair


Ella
(14"x11" pastel on 300 lb. gessoed w.c. paper)


Ella is my sweet little niece... 'great' niece to be more accurate.

When we were in Ontario this past spring it was the May long weekend and her birthday... she turned 3.  After some birthday celebrations we all headed to the neighbourhood park for Victoria Day festivities which included sparklers for the kids.

This reference photo of Ella wearing a cozy knitted poncho while intently watching as she was handed a lit sparkler caught my attention.

I left out the sparkler...







A special note to my subscribers:
*If you received this blog post via email subscription the video will not be visible in your email. Please go directly to my art blog by clicking on the following link for kimblairartist.blogspot.com in order to view the short 2 minute video of the creation of this portrait.