Turkish Delight

Tulips originated in Turkey over 1000 years ago. During the 17th century they were highly prized and costly, in Europe. The Netherlands became enamoured with the tulip and we have come to think of the tulip as originating from Holland. During a trip to Holland many years ago we went to the famous Kukenhoff Gardens (best time is April and early may depending on the weather)to see their fabulous tulip (and other spring bulbs) gardens. I am not kidding when I say that most of the tulip flowers were huge... each petal was the size of my hand and when added up to the usual 6 petaled tulip that makes for one gigantic flower head!

The petals of the two tulips in this painting are much larger than my hand... but of course that is because this painting is 22x30 inches... Imagine the statement this piece will make on your wall.

SOLD
22x30 inches, oil on canvas. (needs a couple of weeks to dry enough to take home, but I guarantee they won't wilt... )