French Yellow


Sunflowers are so vibrant and happy. They seem to be available at flower shops year round these days... adding a touch of cheeriness to any bouquet. I thought it fitting to paint this large sunflower head the other day and post it today since this weekend is the opening of the Van Gogh movie at the imax theatre at The Telus World of Science. Van Gogh will be in good company because running at the same time, May 29 to Sept 7, is an exhibit of Leonardo Da Vinci's inventions (which my husband and I saw years ago at the museum here in Edmonton).

I have seen a number of original Van Gogh paintings during my travels... The most recent exhibition I saw was of his night scenes, which were on display at the MOMA, in New York. It was a fascinating show. Included with the paintings were letters he wrote and sent to his brother Theo (who was also his art dealer/patron of sorts). The letters included numerous sketches of his ideas for the paintings on exhibit. Fascinating! A magical experience that I will never forget. Van Gogh on the imax screen will be quite the thrill.

See you at the movie. (I may go a few times...)

SOLD
16x20 oil on canvas (like Van Gogh said, the thicker paint takes longer to dry before I can ship this work)