Friday, August 28, 2009

Double Holly, by Canadian Artist Kim Blair

I know that in a previous posting I mentioned that it was difficult to find hollyhocks in the Highlands, here in Edmonton, but just like when you purchase a new car, or are thinking about a certain make and model... they start to show up everywhere... hollyhocks have been popping up everywhere I turn. This makes me very happy because a number of my collectors have been requesting more hollyhock paintings, so I needed more reference material.

Hollyhocks are fun flowers to paint. Here is my visual take on them... swatches of silk fabric gathered into a circle with nips and tucks creating wonderful crinkles and creases... fluttering in the breeze while their backsides are pinned to thick felt stalks. Glowing whitish toned centers are highlighted by a cute little bulbous nose disguised by fuzzy bits of pollen... beacons, beckoning to passing bumble bees. Who could resist?
Flowers add beauty to any decor.

SOLD
10x8 oil on canvas

No comments: