Sunday, August 8, 2010

Donut Envy

I have been having donut envy.  A number of daily painters have been painting donuts and I have to say I have secretly wanted to paint a donut for a long, long time (especially a donut from Tim Hortons).

But those of you who know me personally know that I am gluten intolerant...  because I am a Celiac, I cannot consume traditional baked goods.  So when the donut envy got the better of me on Friday, my husband (who is not Celiac) offered to purchase a sprinkle donut for me at Tim's, bring it home and take a bite out of it for me... how sweet of him!  He even said he would be happy to consume the rest after I photographed it and painted it... how 'thoughtful' of him.  I may have to paint a few more desserts, and some of them will be gluten-free... we'll see if you can tell the difference!

My friend Ellen, has a wonderful blog devoted to being Gluten-free called 'The Celiac Scene ' with restaurant recommendations, travel info etc, for anyone who has family member or friend with this sensitivity.

Since being diagnosed as a Celiac I often wonder how many celebrities have a gluten sensitivity. While watching TV the other morning (yes, I was doing sit-ups at the same time... a girls has to multitask whenever possible) I caught the tail end of 'The View'.   Whoopi and Sherri where sampling cupcakes from numerous sources and when they got to the table with cupcakes from a bakery in New York City called 'Baby Cakes' (I have been to this one too) they called Elizabeth Hasselbeck over because she is Celiac and could eat these samples!  I was surprised to read that Elizabeth wrote a book that was on the New York Times best seller list, called ' The G-Free Diet'.  I think I'll get it to read.


$150.00. 10x10 oil on canvas (the donut 'painting' is guaranteed gluten-free!)



7 comments:

Gwen Bell said...

This is one of my all time faves of yours! Just love those fun red sprinkles on that black and white Zebra print: The Modern Donut.

So sorry to hear you have Celiac. My uncle suffers from it so I know what you are going through and how sick you can get from foods we all take for granted. What a dear husband to help you out! I wonder if all of us could benefit from cutting down on the Gluten saturated diet we all eat.

Dusty Pines said...

heehee-such a great guy, your husband! what he suffers for your art! and great art it is - i really like the color combinations & how lively it is!

do you know abt shreve stockton, over at http://dailycoyote.net/ ? she's also gluten-intolerant & has written a cookbook, eating gluten free, i think it is...

Cynnie said...

What a stunning donut piece....these are the kind of donuts I like...calorie free:)
Cynthia Schelzig..a.k.a. Cynnie

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

Wishing you good health, Kim, and I'm going to give you a bit of a break in our Donut War this week. What a wonderful painting - I'm jealous that you even OWN zebra print fabric!

Catherine Jeffrey said...

What a great contribution to the donut wars! And a Tim Hortons one at that! Love the red that shows up in the fabric and sprinkles and the donut looks absolutely scrumptious. I drool over these whenever I get my coffee fix at Tims.

Stephen Parker said...

Hi, Kim,

I don't know how you can paint donuts, while knowing you'll not be able to eat them after. Somehow you manage to paint them very well, though, so your powers of concentration are obviously admirable. This is a really nice piece.

Susan E. Roden said...

Another contender! (Man, being in the middle of a donut war is a hard life.)

Lovely piece Kim, especially since sprinkles are tough.

Welcome!