Abstract Painting, Abstraction Inspired by Day Lilies, by Canadian Artist Kim Blair

Abstraction Inspired by Day Lilies
10x30 acrylic on canvas

Thick texture and rich color...

If you click on the image above it should enlarge, giving you a close-up view of the impasto passages in this abstract painting.   Painting, for me, (whether realistic or abstract) is a visual expression of a 'feeling' I receive from my subject matter.  When I choose to paint a subject there must be a certain 'feeling' in my body before I proceed with the art.  My inspiration is a reaction to the color, light, darkness, texture, shape, meaning, etc of whatever has caught my eye.

When something 'catches my eye', what I really mean is that it has created an 'experience' in my body as well as my mind that (for me) signifies that it would make an interesting painting.  We all experience our world in different ways... and we all have our own unique response to the stimuli that surrounds us each day.  If we all stopped now and then to analyze what we are feeling about a particular thing... for example a flower, we may be surprised to realize that it is sometimes difficult to articulate.  Is it the color, texture, fragrance, or shape that really catches our attention and stimulates our senses, or is it all of these things and more?

SOLD
10x30, acrylic on canvas