Pen and Ink drawing, Apron Detail II, By Canadian Artist Kim Blair

Apron Detail II
5x4 pen and ink on acid free paper

Of course the apron I drew at Fort Edmonton (see yesterday's posting) had another end tied to the clothesline... twirling and swirling in the wind.  The thick cotton cloth became a twisted little fabric sculpture, with a touch of whimsy.  It made me think of being a child... watching my mother hang the laundry on the line.  She would connect all the tea towels, sheets and pillow cases by overlapping the fabric so that only one wooden pin was required to hold two ends together on the line.  During the winter the laundry would freeze on the line, and Mom would carry 'cardboard' sheets into the basement to thaw on a make shift line, dripping onto the concrete floor.
I am sure she sometimes felt like she was a pioneer... one clothespin away from tying aprons in knots on a line... just like I found at Fort Edmonton.

NFS
5x4 pen and ink on acid free paper.