Evelyn's portrait in pastel by Kim Blair





Evelyn
(14"x11" wax pastel on gessoed w.c. paper)

One afternoon, last fall, I was talking to my friend Francine during a function we attended at the Highland's Golf Club and mentioned that I would like to paint her daughter's portrait. Not too long after we spoke I received a lovely selfie reference photo of Evelyn which I filed away until last month. 

It was a delight to paint Evelyn!
:0)


One of the reasons I like working with pastel is the textural tones you can achieve when bits of the paper/underpainting peek through the work. In Evelyn's portrait you can see the warm terracotta of the underpainting peeking through the background and skin adding another tonal dimension to the work.






*If you received this blog post via email subscription the video will not be visible in your email. Please go directly to my art blog by clicking on the following link for kimblairartist.blogspot.com in order to view the short 2 minute video of the creation of this portrait.