Pam's Portrait by Kim Blair




Pam
(14x11 pastel on gessoed 300 lb w.c. paper)


The day Pam showed me the photo used for this portrait on her cell phone I felt an immediate jolt of inspiration to paint her portrait!  Her striped jacket reminded me of Van Gogh's portrait 'Portrait of Trabuc', and of course then the desire to paint her was doubled.

Pam's portrait was the first one I completed using caran d'ache pastels. I began with a purple toned acrylic background and drew her in graphite, then started applying the pastels in various marks and random patterns.

If you zoom in on the image above you will see the spontaneous interwoven pastel marks that read as a unified whole when viewed from a distance. 

 *Below is a 2 minute slideshow of Pam's Portrait from beginning to completion.

A special note to my subscribers:
(If you received this blog post via email subscription but the video below is a black box...  and will not play in your email... then please go directly to my art blog kimblairartist.blogspot.com in order to view the video there)