Katie's Portrait by Kim Blair




Katie

(14"x11" pastel on 300 lb. gessoed w.c. paper)


My beautiful niece Katie sent me a lovely selfie where she was pursing her lips... just a bit...posing for some fun shots before she heading off to a wedding. I enhanced the red tones of her hair to play off the terra cotta tone of the base coat that you see peeking through the pastels...creating her painterly freckles.

While painting her portrait I noticed essences of her Mother in her features. When I know a sitter's parents, siblings or other relatives I often notice subtle physical similarities between them as I study their faces/expressions...which fascinates me, because it really is the luck of the 'gene draw' as to what comes through in each person.


(I wonder what I will notice when I paint her daughter?)




A special note to my subscribers:
*If you received this blog post via email subscription the video below may not be visible in your email. Please go directly to my art blog by clicking on the following link for kimblairartist.blogspot.com in order to view the short 2 minute video of the creation of this portrait.